Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Beef Brisket Recipe
This ultra-simple slow cooker Tex-Mex Beef Brisket recipe is so easy it only takes 10 minutes of prep time and 6 ingredients BUT makes the most delicious beef brisket you have ever eaten.
So Tender and Full of Flavor!
I’m talking tender, juicy beef brisket that is dripping with flavor and is perfect for sandwiches (excellent topped with Mamma Rock’s Coleslaw on a toasted potato bun or Kaiser roll – pictured above). Tacos. Burritos. Nachos. Or where ever your imagination takes you.
Tips for Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Beef Brisket
When buying the beef brisket for this recipe you want to look for good marbling. Marbling is the “good” fat… if the meat does not have good marbling it will be dry and lack flavor. So look for a brisket that has nice thin white fat marbling throughout.
Place the brisket into the slow cooker fat cap side up. This helps keep the beef nice and moist as it will self-baste as it is cooking.
For this recipe, I use an Ancho Chipotle Pepper Adobo Paste. This may sound fancy but you can easily find it in the international isle of most grocery stores. If your local store does not carry it then click here to order it on Amazon.com.
For the last hour, I cook the shredded beef brisket in the beef broth… don’t discard the broth when you pull the beef to shred it. You don’t have to but I like to use a fat separator to remove some of the fat from the broth before I return the shredded beef brisket to the slow cooker… this makes for a much richer and cleaner broth.
Don’t throw out those onions… they are a wonderfully delicious topping for the beef brisket on a sandwich, nachos or tacos!
Love Tex_Mex? Try our Ultra Simple 5 Ingredient Mexican Chicken Dip
- 4½ to 5 lbs beef brisket
- 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
- 5 tablespoons ancho chipotle pepper adobo paste (found in the international isle of most grocery stores or Amazon.com)
- 3 to 3½ cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 medium onions halved and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pat beef brisket dry with a paper towel then run on both sides with approximately 2½ tablespoons Ancho Chipotle Pepper Adobo paste and sprinkle with Kosher salt (about ½ teaspoon each side).
- Place beef brisket in slow cooker fat side up.
- Sprinkle 1 packet of low sodium taco season on beef brisket.
- Pour is 3 to 3/12 cups of low sodium beef broth (more or less till the broth comes up the side of the beef but does not submerge).
- Top beef brisket with sliced onions.
- Cook with slow cooker set to low for 8 to 10 hours or until beef brisket is fork tender.
- Remove beef brisket from slow cooker (leaving the broth and cooked onions in the slow cooker) and carefully remove any fat and discard.
- If desired using a fat separator skim fat from beef broth, saving the onions and return beef broth and onions to the slow cooker.
- Shred beef brisket with two forks and return shredded beef to slow cooker (mixing beef into broth).
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 1 more hour.
- Serve brisket on a toasted bun with coleslaw, or serve on top of nachos or serve on a soft taco and top with your favorite toppings.
Easy Homemade Banana Muffin Recipe; Ultra Simple 5 Ingredient Mexican Chicken Dip; Oven Roasted Rosemary and Thyme Chicken Breast on the Bone Recipe; Pulled Pork Sliders with Slaw;Grilled Spicy Buffalo Wings; Sausage, Peppers and Onion Sandwich