Cucumber salad just reminds me of my dad. It was one of the simplest pleasures he truly enjoyed. It did not matter what we were having for dinner, it was a common request to have cucumber salad on the side. Now, as an outsider that might sound weird… but you never met my father. He was a lovely guy who just liked things the way he liked them.
And how can I blame him? Cucumbers are so delicious unto themselves, but add some rich sour cream, salt, pepper, dill and if you choose a little red onion and you have a side dish that is so yummy and tasty how could you blame the guy for wanting it with most meals.
This recipe pays homage to my father and flashes me back to when he was alive… so yes, this recipe is personal. He of course, had his own way of making this delicious side but I have put my own little twist on it to make it more to my taste. But I think ANYONE who loves cucumber salad is going to love this recipe. Give it a try for your next BBQ or pot luck party or even just enjoy yourself like my father did…
There you have it, the most simple delicious cucumber salad recipe… I hope you enjoy it as much as my dad did.
- 4 good sized cucumbers washed and peeled ( I like to leave a little of the peel on so they have some stripes.
- ¾ cup of sour cream (or Greek yogurt if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon of fresh finely ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- One tablespoon finely chopped red onion - optional
- Wash, peel and slice cucumbers into approximately ⅛ inch slices (if you want to slice them thicker or thinner go for it). Place cucumber slices in a medium to large bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl add ¾ cup of sour cream or yogurt; add one tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice; mix well. Then add in your salt, pepper, dill and red onion (optional). Mix till all ingredients combined and mixed well. Pour dressing over bowl of sliced cucumbers; fold dressing into cucumbers with a spatula being careful not to break the cucumbers. Enjoy!